Monday, March 21, 2011

Mud Rugby, Waterfalls and Island Paradise

Our team has been incredibly busy since we landed in Fiji almost three months ago.  We have chosen embrace the motto, "Work hard, play hard."  When we're not on campus doing ministry, we love to go on adventures and discover new things.

We've started to embrace the Fijian obsession with rugby.  We got a rugby ball for Dave's birthday and ever since we've been trying to perfect the game.  We live right across the street from a local high school which has a rugby field.  Dave, Kori and I went out to play rugby the other day and this is how we looked when we came back.




We also had the opportunity to go to one of my favorite places so far in Fiji.  Our friend, Sefo, took us to a waterfall in Wailoku, which is about half an hour from Suva.


Our friend and guide, Sefo

We hiked through the forest for about twenty minutes and stumbled upon this waterfall.  It was about fifteen feet high and we thought it was awesome!  We had some fun climbing and jumping off the top of the waterfall.  The water was cool and very refreshing.


Mary, Queen of the Waterfall

Dave gettin' air!

We were having a really great time when Sefo asked us if we wanted to go to the real waterfall.  So we climbed the first waterfall, walked upstream for about five minutes and stumbled on this waterfall!


The real deal

The bigger waterfall was probably somewhere around 45-50 feet.  The view from the top is much scarier than it is from the bottom.  Sefo convinced us that it was okay to jump from the very top into the pool below.  Mary bravely stepped forward and took the leap of faith first.  She made it look so easy that I had to try.  I couldn't be outdone by a girl.  So I worked up a little courage and took a leap of faith.  Unfortunately, my center of gravity must not be as good as Mary's, because I found myself turning in midair and landed directly on my belly and face.  It didn't feel great at the time but a few nasty bruises is a small price to pay for such a great experience.




Samurai Rob

Despite a few cuts and bruises, it was a great adventure for our team.  We had a great time and definitely plan on returning in the future.  I need to work on perfecting my waterfall leaping skills.

This past weekend, we had the incredible opportunity to spend a few days at Mana Island.  Mana Island is a remote island in the Mamanucas, an island group located northwest of Fiji's main island.  We took an hour and a half ferry out to Mana Island.  It was amazing to be in place that I've only dreamed of.  It was beautiful beyond what words can describe.  We enjoyed snorkeling, kayaking and sailing.  We got to work on our tans and relax for the first time in almost three months.  It was definitely a change of pace from life in Suva.


Mana Island

On a boat, somewhere in the middle of the South Pacific

Dozens of small island resorts 


The Infinity Pool looking out over the Pacific

"If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me" Psalm 139:9-10.  As I looked out across the vast ocean, I was reminded of this verse.  No matter where I am, I can't escape God's presence.  He is with me always, even on some remote island in the middle of the South Pacific.  God continues to amaze me this year as he shows up in amazing ways.  It was a great weekend to connect with God in an intimate way.  I prayed for you, that no matter where you are, God would reveal himself to you and comfort you with His presence.


Enjoying the beautiful view

Rob loves to dig holes

Castaway Island, where the movie Castaway was filmed

I hope you enjoy the pictures.  Maybe after seeing them, you'll consider visiting?!?!  Now it's back to life as usual in Fiji.  We're relaxed, rejuvenated and excited to be back on campus.  I'm leaving in a few minutes to go share how great our God is with students.  I can't wait to see how God uses me today!  Most of you are probably closing out your day.  I pray that your may rest in God's presence this evening.  Read Psalm 23!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment