Sunday, January 29, 2012

How do you worship?

So we made it to Fiji. After spending two days in LA due to unexpected mechanical problems, we finally flew out on Tuesday. We arrived in Nadi, Fiji to discover that it was flooded. Luckily the water went down enough to take the bus to Suva. We've begun settling in (pictures to come) and getting used to Fiji time.

Anyway, that's not what I wanted to write about. Living in Fiji over the past year has taught me that the American way is not always the right way (or the wrong way for that matter). I was sitting in church this morning when a group of students got up to do a dance. This is a relatively frequent practice in Fiji and I've seen it dozens of times. Here's what went through my mind: "Here we go again".

Almost immediately, I felt convicted and heard the Spirit saying, "Whoa Brian. Why don't you come down off your high horse?" Shoot. I realized that I've become so one-dimensional in my own conception of worship. You say worship and I think about the three song set preceding the sermon at church. I don't know for sure but I don't think that's what God had in mind when he created us.

... everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.                                                                                                              Isaiah 43:7
These dancers in church were simply worshipping God a different way and I fell into the trap of dismissing them right off the bat. I love living in a foreign culture because it challenges everything that I do and everything I've been taught. Fijians constantly worship God through song, dance, testimony and drama.

Why do we confine worship within the church walls? Why do we automatically think of singing? I wrote in my journal that I don't want to be one-dimensional in worshipping my Creator. I'm still not sure what that looks like but I've challenged myself to worship in different ways this week.

Where do you most experience God? It's not "unChristian" of you if church doesn't come to your mind. Maybe it's on a walk or a hike. Maybe it's swimming or when you're on a run. Maybe it's when you're alone (like me!) or when you're in a crowded place. I don't know but I challenge you to experience God and worship Him in a new way this week. He's just to great to be confined to a three song set on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment