Saturday, April 23, 2011

God is Merciful

Connexion, our weekly meeting, has been continuing its theme of "God Who?" this semester.  We've been discussing how having a right view of God will affect how we live our lives.  A.W. Tozer once said, "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."  That's why we're helping students realize who God is by revealing His character.  So far this semester, we've discussing how God is love, sovereign, holy and just.  Last night's theme was "God is Merciful".

It was a special night for me because one of my disciples was giving his testimony and I was giving the message!  Luke, a third year at USP, was one of the first students we met here in Fiji.  He's been hanging out with us ever since and I started to disciple him a few weeks ago.  He became a Christian eight months ago and hasn't looked back since.  He's an incredible young man and although I have nothing to do with where he's at in life, I'm extremely proud of him.  Below is the video of Luke sharing his testimony.  He was pretty nervous but did an incredible job!  Please take a few minutes to listen to Luke's story!



After Luke shared his testimony, it was my turn to share the message for the night.  I've spoken before large groups before but I've never really had the opportunity to "preach", if you will.  I was a little nervous but as I got into my talk, I felt that the Spirit took over. We went through the book of Jonah to see God's mercy toward Jonah and the Ninevites. We talked about how God shows mercy to us by not giving us what we deserve.  We also talked about how God is perfectly merciful and perfectly just at the same time. When all was said and done, I talked for thirty-five minutes!  I hope I wasn't too long winded.  Time really seemed to fly by when I was up there.

Explaining the difference between mercy and grace


Is he wearing a skirt?




Overall, I enjoyed giving the message.  It was definitely a challenge for me.  It was the perfect timing to talk about God's mercy the night before Good Friday.  As I was preparing this week and speaking last night, I felt like God revealed His mercy to me in a whole new way.  I'm incredibly thankful that Jesus bore the full weight of God's wrath for me.  I pray that this wouldn't be just another Easter season for you.  I pray that you would realize what your Creator has done for you and that it would move you toward deep and intimate love with Him.  Thank you God for your mercy!  Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment